Throughout the years, I've had lots of fun coming up with DIY Halloween costumes and in college I really got the hang of budget-costuming. Here's a recent few:
 |
| Toddlers In Tiara Costume |
For my Toddlers in Tiaras costume, I already owned a sequin tank top that I figured would work well and about the closest I was gunna get to "glitz" from my closet. I cut an old tee shirt that was about the same color into a fitted mini skirt. The tee shirt stretched enough that I didn't bother sewing any closures into it, just a few darts on my waist so it wouldn't fall down. Then I bought several yards (maybe about 9 yards) of stiff, cheap tulle form a fabric store (I think it was less than $10 worth all together). I roughly followed the tips in
this video for the whole skirt, but I made the width of the tulle shorter so the skirt didn't lay down and was much more of that "cupcake" style pageant dresses of the girls. While at the fabric store I saw a foam crown for $1! I also grabbed about 2 years of light pink ribbon for my sash. Instead of using any lingo from the show on my sash, I just wrote "Mini Miss USA". (Some people thought I was going for Miss America instead of a Toddlers in Tiaras thing, but oh well) Then I just threw on some drag makeup and practiced my pouty faces.
Total Cost: $15
Time spent: 1 hour
 |
| "Telephone" Gaga |
Another costume I'm particularly proud of is my Lady Gaga from the
Telephone music video. The devil was in the details for this one. I already owned the faux leather jacket and the cheap blonde wig (about $15). The black leotard was from a costume store that inexpensive ($10). Also at the costume store I snagged a pair of shutter shades ($3) and about 20 fake cigarette (about 10 cents a piece or $2). Assembling the cans in the wig was the hardest part of this costume. In the end I found using double stick tape to the cans and then wrapping sections of hair around the can was the easiest, and the most secure. I think I used only 4 cans. It also helped to smash them against your head (not animal house style) a little so they weren't so tall.
For the glasses I super-glued the cigarettes onto the shutter shades with small spaces for my eyes. Caution: Let the glue dry completely before wearing them, the glue can be extremely irritating to your eyes just by being close to them. In the video Gaga's cigarettes face the other way and are burning, but that didn't seem practical at all haha. I did burn the fake cigs down a little bit to not look like squares and mimic the shape of the glasses. This costume was a big hit at every party and bar I walked in to. Normally I do a different outfit every night, but this one I ended up wearing all 3 nights I went out.
Total Cost: $30
Time spent: 2 hours
 |
| The Frenchie |
A classic: the Frenchie. This costume was essentially free because I simply borrowed everything I needed. The beret was my boyfriends, the wig I already owned, the striped shirt was my sisters and the kerchief was simply a cloth napkin (but any scrap of red fabric would have worked great). This costume can be easily jazzed up with funny accessories: a baguette, a cigarette, a silly accent, etc. This one was very comfortable and fun!
Total Cost: Nothing!
Time spent: < 5 mins
I'm quite excited about some more costumes for this year! I've got one that I think will be another DIY winner.
No comments:
Post a Comment